Thursday, October 17, 2013

working on the Land Rover 109

     Well, I am still waiting on the camshaft oil seal and the last 4 rocker arms. They should have shipped from the UK yesterday/today. In the meantime I have been trying to do other things.
     I cleaned up the head by wire wheeling the soot off the valves and removing all the old gasket material. Good thing is no cracks, bad thing is one of the hot spots fell out. I found it in a box in the garage and pinned it back in.
    While doing the clean up I did see that #7 valve was really sooted up on the shaft. So using the valve spring compresser the valve was removed and cleaned up on the wire wheel and reinstalled. All the others look fine.
     I put the oil pan back on, using blue permatex. When I cleaned up the pan I coated the outside with spray on truck bed liner, hoping it holds up to the clanks and bangs of off road!


     I also removed the reciever style trailer hitch from my 88 and put it on the 109. This necessitated reaming out the top holes in the chassis to 7/16".



     I have to do the trailer wiring yet.
     The oil filter adapter was put on and a filter installed. I sure like the screw on kind! I hooked up the oil pressure guage and the warning lite wiring. Kinda funny--in the book when I looked up the oil filter number it just lists "screw on type".
    Earlier this week I purchased some RUD snow chains from Chain Stop www.chainstop.com . They were expensive including shipping around $250.00! for 2 sets. But if I need them I'll have em. I figured since I'll probably be going thru the Midwest this winter I'd better get some. I was disappointed to see they were mfg in China, I thought they were German. Probably just designed there.

No comments:

Post a Comment