Thursday, October 31, 2013

Land Rover valve train 2.5DT

Happy Halloween!

     Well to make a long story short, are you kidding me! It is and epic story! A true heroic tale!

    I went out this morning and brought the valve cover inside as it was 35F and then I cleaned it up and made a new cork gasket. After it warmed up to around 50F I went out and pulled the bolts from the valve train. Then I removed the rocker shaft assembly and refit the valve cover. It fit, so that meant the injectors were not blocking the cover from closing.
   Then the rocker assembly was refitted with the bolts a little over finger tight to keep it from moving. The cover was then refit. Lo and behold it would not seal???????? I discovered the other day that I have a spare diesel valve cover so I cleaned it up and then used it to check fit while the gasket sealant was drying on the original valve cover. Before I did this I verified that the shape and size and bolt holes were the same between the 2 covers. The only difference is where the breather hole is.
    Using this cover sped up the process as I needed not to worry about the gasket. So I set it in position on the head and using a deadblow hammer I tried to put it down in position(sealed). It would not go down something on the inside was not letting it. So taking the cover off I checked the inside for witness marks of the interferance. I saw 3 slight marks from the rocker arms of #3,7,and 8. Next I went in the house to check the part numbers online of the different 2.5 NA and DT rocker arms. I do have the correct parts.
   Then I took the old rocker arms out to compare with the new ones. That is when I discovered the difference.
   The new rocker arms are larger at the end where the adjusting screw goes in.

   You can see in the pictures that they are not even round. My parts came from Bearmach.

    The next step was to take the rocker shaft apart so the individual rocker arms were accessable.



    Once the arms were off I took them to my garage and using my flapwheel on the angle grinder I took off about 3/16" from each arm. Below are some before and after pics.





     The last pic even shows a witness mark from the inside of the rocker cover. On the outside of the nut end, the shiny bit by the oil hole.

    After putting the rocker shaft back together;



     It was time to refit to the head. Once again I used just slightly over finger tight and dropped the cover on. It went all the way down this time (I think!). Then I torqued it all down and re did the valve clearances to 010", installed the cover just over finger tight to set overnight.
     Tomorrow I hope to fill all the fluids and start it up. Then I can put the body work back on and maybe take it for a drive this weekend!

How I left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment