Thursday, October 24, 2013

Land Rover rocker shaft

     I am sure all my followers will remember that I only recieved a partial shipment of the rocker arms needed to repair the badly worn ones in my 2.5Dt. Well the rest of them came in a couple of days ago with the evening mail.
     So I set down a tarp on my living room floor, covered it with some paper towels and cautiously took it apart.


     I am begining to have a love-hate relationship with my workshop manual. I find it very poorly done, such as the jobs to do are not listed in an index but are grouped in a component. For instance if you want to find how to take the rockers off the shaft you have to wade thru the engine dissassembly chapter untill you get to that job. Something making it even more difficult for me is that I am finding  my engine seems to be a transition engine. It has design and components from the 2.5NAD and the 2.5Dt, making me flip back and forth in the manual. I finally realized this a couple of weeks ago when I was taking the motor apart. What I did to help was for the 2.5NAD section I highlited the edge of the pages in orange and the 2.5Dt were highlighted in pink. Now I can easily find the engine sections in the book as this is all that pertains to my 109.



     Back to the rocker rebuild! The mounting blocks were so tight I had to use a wedge to pry them apart so I could slide the blocks off. I set everything down in the order I took it off keeping the orientation of the ends. I did leave the end block on so I could have a reference point.
     Even though the rockers are labled inlet and exhaust there are 2 different styles of each and nothing to tell you where to put which one other than a drawing in the shop manual. It took me 2 tries to get it right, they look so similar. I had to use the wedge again to get the blocks back on. The other bit that slowed me down was the set bolt holding #2 block got cross threaded at some point(me?) and I had to run a tap and a die over all the affected bits(8mx1.25). I put engine assembly goop on all the bits as I was assembling them. I just hope after all that that they line up on the pushrods and valves when on the head.


No comments:

Post a Comment