9 Nov 2022
While I was sorting out my jammed up wiper motor I took the opportunity to clean up and fix the one I have as a spare. I don't remember where I got it. It was disassembled and all greasy in a bag.
One of the first things I tried to find was an IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) for the Lucas unit # RTC3867. I found one on a Lotus website.
Though there are no part numbers just seeing how it went together and names of parts was great.
What I want to do here is show the difference between the 2 units I have. Basically the same as I found the clip and drive shaft on the #22 Final gear are different as is the shape of the #18 connecting rod.
Mainly the difference is the drive shaft on the final gear, the older one (1969) has a larger shaft at where the e clip fits. Whereas the newer one(1974) has a reduced shaft at the top and a smaller horse shoe clip. Below you can see the 2 clips and above them you can see the disconnected brush.
After some clean up you can see the brush plate and the missing brush. Below that is a pic of the windings.
Setting about to clean it all up and see if there was anything else needing repair I removed the c clip from the shaft of the final gear and pulled it out for cleaning and inspection.
Next I turned my attention to the brush plate part #RTC198, and cleaned and removed it.
With the final gear removed and the grease cleaned out of the gearbox and crosshead guide channel I had access to the 2 screws holding on the electrical connector.
Which I promptly removed.
I was surprised to see the brass insert for the slide as I was cleaning it up. It looks pressed in and machined.
The final gear was cleaned and I found this 120° stamp.
With that done the windings were pulled and the commutator cleaned up with 1500 grit sand paper then I used a dental tooth cleaner to scrape the space between the copper to clean them out. A trick my electrician brother showed me. With the cover empty I cleaned it with brake cleaner and wiped out all the built up crud and rust. The outside was wire wheeled to remove the rust.
I like to use different paint on things I have rebuilt so yellow was chosen for the cover.
As that dried I cleaned the brush assembly with brake cleaner, which is just acetone under pressure, and re-soldered the brush on.
As I put it all back together I lightly greased all the slidy, turny, teethy surfaces with wheel bearing grease.
Then I had a chance to test it with the cover off my cars wiper motor. I unplugged the old wires and plugged in the ones on the 109, and hit the switch! It jumped as the rotational forces affected it in slow speed and jumped again as I hit the high speed on the switch. No smoke came out! WOOT! WOOT!
Now I have a working spare!