Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Land Rover valve train

   Well, I had wanted to let you know that the 109 was up and running but no,,,,,,,(*&$

    I was putting it back together and got as far as having all the hoses hooked up and decided to put oil in it. Standing on the drivers side and funneling oil thru the valve cover when I noticed a leak at the rear of the valve cover. So I tightend it down some more and put more oil in. There was none on the dipstick yet after pouring in almost a gallon.
   Going around to the right side I see that the entire side of the motor is covered in oil below the valve cover. So I dab around with a towel to clean it up and crank down on the valve cover again. Again oil starts pouring out the side. Ok I need a new gasket.
    So I made one from a sheet of cork. Then install it after much cleaning of oil. A quick dump of oil in the cover and it leaks out again. I stop and feel the edge of the gasket and there is about a 1/8" gap between the cork and the head. I tighten it down and can still feel the gap. I tighten all the way down, the gap won't change...WTF? I try a deadblow hammer, won't go down. I loosen all the injectors as they are really close. Won't go down. Hammer time again, won't go down. I check the inside of the valve cover and find witness marks from the head bolt on the #2 rocker block. Poking around I can feel a gap under the block itself and using a feeler guage find it is about .009". On the middle 3 blocks. The end blocks are flat.

     Then today I pulled the rocker shaft off and check the underside of the blocks, they middle 3 are all not flat. The 5 of them are all not the same thickness varing by .003". The bolt holes were clean so they didn't get hydraliced. The head bolts were all the same length.
     Then a friend came over who needed help and I didn't get back to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment