Friday, October 11, 2013

Land Rover 19J motor going back together

All right already!!! I started to put the motor back together!!! First I had to set the camshaft endfloat. A rather laborous task putting on then taking off the camshaft timing gear. OK, so I put the camshaft in first, assembled with a light coating of assembly grease. Then with a dial indicator pulling the cam in and out to see how much it moved.
After doing that I could put on the timing chest. I used The Right Stuff to make my gasket. Fastening the bolts to the block and the DPS pump.Next up was to put in the new tappet guides and rollers and tappets. They started off going in easy using the new microencapsulated screws. Then #6 got sticky, the old one was the worst to remove, I wound up tapping it in with and old guide and a dead blow hammer. Numbers 7&8 were also tight. Since I still had daylight I went ahead and put on the crankshaft timing gear. It calls for an anerobic gasket maker to be put on the face, I used Permetex brand. The fuel lift pump and the vacuum pump were both installed. Getting the skew gear in the right place was frustrating but I did it. Here is how it looks tonite.
I am still waiting on the camshaft oil seal before I can put on the cam timing gear. Plus 4 more rocker arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment