Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Land Rover left side fuel fill install

I put in the filler tube for the extended range tank. I had a spare fuel filler cowl so I matched it up on the inside of the body and using a 3/16" drill made 2 locating holes in the body. then I made a paper template of the ID and taped it in position using the locating holes I had drilled. To protect the paint I covered it with painters tape.



Then using a pilot hole I used my jigsaw to cut out the hole




Using my spare cowl and a file I refined the fit of the cowl.


I put the same 3M sealant used on the windscreen around the cowl and after removing the tape pop riveted it in place using 3/16" rivets.





That is my spare fuel cap in the pic.

Next was to figure out the plumbing on the inside. To the best of my knowledge Rover never made a LH side fill system. I have a spare rear 109 5 door fill tank hose and thought I could make it work.



First I tried making a tube set up with some stainless steel, but after 4 hours of fitting I knew there had to be an easier way. I like KISS stuff(keep it simple stupid)



So I took a close look at my RH side hose. Part of the problem is it goes from 73mm down to 42mm so a straight hose won't work.



Taking the RH hose and putting it on the LH to see if it would even remotely fit gave me an idea.



IF  I cut the hose in the middle and rotated the bent section would it reach?



Yes!!!!!  It fits great once clamped in place.



I am going to order 2 new ones as my original is 56 years old and kinda soft. Then I will have only 1 to cut and put on the extra tank! I put the old hose back on the RH side.



I have the stock twin tank switch but it is for petrol and does not have the return line option needed for diesel nor does it switch the gauge/sender from tank to tank.

2 comments:

  1. Handy article thanks, I need to do this on a conversion in the future.🏆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, glad to help!

    ReplyDelete