Sunday, April 5, 2015

Disco 200TDI into 109, fan issue

It always has to be something , right? Check out where the fan on the Disco hits the radiator for the Series.



All this time working around the motor I didn't realize it was offset. Now if you have been following my blog all that work I did to make a new fan shroud is negated. So after pondering the situation for a while and looking at options I decided on an electric fan. I bought a Hayden 16" reversable, #3700 and mounted it to the radiator.



I tried offseting it to make for more clearance with the motor fan pully/mount. The 200 has the big plastic 7 bladed fan with a clutch so it really sticks out. I test fitted the new setup;



Only to find that it wasn't going to be easy.............so I cut off the threaded portion of the pully and refit;



Each step was slightly better but now I realized I was going to have to remove some of the fan shroud to make it all work, so I did it in steps as to not take off too much all at once.



result;



and again,



result;



Now I've had to take part of the shroud edge to make it clear, but the below pic shows the final carnage.



The fan is made reversable by flipping the fan over on the motor shaft and reversing the wires, normally black would be ground and blue for power, in this orginal configuration it is a "pusher" fan and can mount to the front side of the radiator. Because I have a military oil cooler in front I needed to have a "puller" mounted on the backside, therefore my wiring will be black to power and blue to ground. I am looking into a thermostat control for the fan. I don't want to rely on me remembering to turn it on or have it on all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment