Friday, April 3, 2015

109 going back together

So I wanted to put the xfer case on the gearbox, I ordered a gasket from Rovah Farm and when it arrived I started the job only to find the gasket was wrong. I informed Trevor so he knows and he checked his inventory only to find the NOS from 56 were all bad!

Here's a pic of the bad fit;



I tried to make holes larger and off set but it was too distorted so I decided to make my own. I am trying this kinda plastic foamy stuff I found hoping it seals well. I used the bad paper gasket for a template to cut out the center sections as they seemed to be the right shape.


cut out



then I had to hold it on the gearbox and using the hammer technique I made the outside and hole shapes.




the following pics show how bad the paper gasket was off and the new gasket in place;





Once this was sorted out I put on the transfer case, and eventually the parking brake and rear drive line.







As you can see I also have the Roamerdrive re-installed, as well as changing out the straight Series 2 parking brake handle for the curved late 2a-3 one. I like to rest my leg against it whilst driving and prefer the easier reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment