Sunday, April 5, 2015

Land Rover extended range fuel tank install

OK got the time and had enough coffee so I mounted the extended range fuel tank which was part of the group buy from the Guns and Roses forum. To do it I used my floor jack to raise and lower it and hold it in position. The biggest issue was the filler neck.

The hole for the neck was marked while the tank was held up under the 109. I drilled a 1-1/2" hole where indicated with a hole saw. Unfortunately I lost track of my camera and only have a couple of pics. Anywhoo I figured out where the front mount needed to go and put it in with 2 large sheet metal screws in the top and 3 in the side. I had a long 1/4" drill bit which I put between the frame and the tank to keep  consistant distance. I would raise and lower the tank while elongagating the filler hole. This was a challenge due to the tube being on an angle and the higher the tank was raised the more the tube hit the side of the hole. I think I wound up using the Dremel to remove 1/2-3/4 of an inch to get it to fit. It is bolted in with 2, 1/4x1 bolts in the front and 3 in the back. The rear holes in the frame had to be drilled as my frame was lacking them.




Still have to do the filler neck in the body and a tank switch.


Another thing I did was install the low range shift lever. For many years I have driven Series Rovers and the anti rattle spring on the lever ALWAYS falls out! So at first I thought I would use silicone and glue it on, so I did but to hold it on while the silicone dried I safety wired it on. When I did this I realized that that was all I really needed to do.



So I put it in and found that the top of the lever was too close to my heater duct.



I wouldn't be able to put on the knob, so I used a propane torch and heated up the bend in the lever and bent it a little more, you can see where the heat was applied;



Now the clearance is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment