Monday, March 2, 2015

Land Rover odds n sods

The previous owner of my 200TDI had put paper in the intake/exhaust ports and put clear packing tape over it to keep crap out. It had been there for many years. I started to take it off a couple of days ago but rain forced me to stop, so today I finished up. I had to use a stiff putty knife and acetone to remove the tape and stickum, it took about an hour and a half to get it where it was clean. There were some studs inplace and I removed them to facilitate cleaning and I was going to replace them anyway. Also in the pic you can see what I was talking about in the last post about the ports all being in a straight line.


I am still awaiting the 2 longer outside studs. I also discovered that the parts book is wrong on the number of 8x25mm studs needed as it says 2 and 4 are necessary. Lucky for me there were 2 old ones in the head!

Once that was all done for the first time I had the ports exposed, so I took a cresent wrench as I didn't have the required 30mm socket and turned the motor, it went thru all the revolutions with nary a problem.

After that I focused on the power steering pump area. I hung the newly painted bracket and hung the alternator above it and tried to visualize the belts and pump. Then I took out the belts and set them in position to see and show, you my hearty loyal followers!




Trying to figure out what I can do when I am awaiting parts, I figured I could put oil in it. Remembering when it was on the ground that the oil pan plug was loose, I crawled under to tighten it and then I saw that the plug was kinda buggered up so I completely removed it. After fighting with the copper seal to get it off I decided to just clean up the plug and source a new seal.
I had to file burrs off the underside of the hexhead so it will seat flat and file the sides so a socket or a closed end spanner will fit and lastly remove the sharp burrs remaining on the top.





Someone must have used an adjustable wrench on it and an ill-fitting one at that! Maybe next time I make an order I'll get a new one.

At the end of the day my 24 spline drive members came in from Great Basin Rovers, along with new hub caps and o-rings.



Woot!  Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment