Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Land Rover extended fuel tank,

Ugh! that was a bad weekend, but it didn't stop me from doing stuff on Sunday and Monday.

Lets start with on Friday Daren called to let me know the manifolds were done, but it was too late for me to go down and get them so I had to wait over the weekend. On Monday I loaded the 88 with the aux fuel tank and headed down to see Daren.

We checked out the manifolds and they looked good but still rough so it was decided that he would change the fuel tank from a right hand to a left hand while I took the manifolds to the shop and had them surfaced.

So off I went to Andy's Auto Supply where I knew that they could do it. They agreed to do the exhaust while I waited and inbetween other customers and chit chatting with Mike it took about an hour to get done. Once that was done I headed back to Arc-Tec Welding to see if Daren was done.

He wasn't quite finished but cut the gussets and welded them on and it was done.
Here's the tank after;



I think I will have to trim the inboard gusset to fit the outrigger.
I also picked up fittings at The Hose Shop



Due to the gusset welds I had to modify the mounting hanger by narrowing the bottom, I will have to drill new holes when I finally put it in.




I rounded the corners to relieve stress risers and smoothed the edges.
Here's how it now fits in the bracket;




I'll install it when I get the transmission all put in. This should give me around 25 gallons(US) total capacity, IF the 109 get 20mpg that will be around 500 miles range. Then with diesel at $4.00USD cost $100.00USD to fill.

I got around to painting it, well I guess I should say coating it. I used the Duplicolor spray on bed liner after taping up the fittiings and hose connections. This should help with corrosion issues in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment