Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Land Rover fiddling around, dual tank, locking diff, throttle cable

Let's see....................

I bought an extended range aluminum tank which was part of a group buy on the Guns and Rovers website. I am thinking about where to put it. It was designed to replace the RH underseat tank and extend under the front floor.


My current thinking is that with some modification I can put it under the LH seat and more than double my fuel capacity. This will mean losing my underseat tool box something I don't want to do as I was thinking I might HAVE to put the battery there if I can not make it fit the engine bay. If the fuel tank goes there where does the battery then go?

Just wanted to share with you the "flash" that was inside the tank.


Pretty yucky!

I have been piddling around doing small things since I had to place an order with Craddocks. My power steering bracket will not fit/work, neither will my alternator as the mounting ears are in a different configuration. So I ordered those and new fan and alternator belts.
   This motor is different in that the main fan belt drives from the crank  to the waterpump then around the power steering pump and back to the crank. The power steering pump has a double pulley and from it a belt goes to the alternator. So for tensioning you first do the fan belt then adjust the alternator tension.
   So back to piddling around, I removed the power steering fluid reservoir as it will be relocated, removed the tape from some of the coolant pipes and wire brushed them with the Dremel tool and then put on hoses, or in some cases I recovered them with blue painters tape instead of duct tape. The blue tape doesn't leave such a sticky residue....YUCK!




You can see I put on the hose from the waterpump to the thermostat housing, on the left, and yes I did put on a lower hose clamp, thank you!

I have run the hoses from the head and the thermostat to the heater and installed the heater control valve. In the pics the hose from the thermostat is missing because I left it off pending the intake/exhaust install.




The cable for the heater control was shortened about 8" to make for a cleaner installation.

I have 2 intake/exhaust/turbo set ups for the 2.5DT 19J motor, these were taken to Daren at ARC-Tec along with a manifold gasket(for a template), minus the turbos. He is going to make me a intake/exhaust manifold that will fit the 200TDI head. The issue being on the 19J head the intake and exhaust ports are offset up and down, the exhaust being lower as in the 2.25 motors. 




While the 200-300 heads have all the ports in a straight line. What this configuration does is change the stud position, mostly for the exhaust but all new mounting holes have to be added to both intake and exhaust manifolds. Easy enough for him with the aluminum intake but not so easy with the cast iron exhaust, he will remove the flange bits off the extra manifold and weld them onto the "good" one. The 200-300 Defender manifolds are difficult to find and stupidly expensive, this should cost in the neighborhood of a third their cost.

No pics at this point.

On the other hand I purchased an Ashcroft air locker for the rear. Biting the bullet, partly due to favorable exchange rate I had them set up a complete diff, with 4.75 HD ring and pegged against deflection. http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/






Just need to figure out where to mount the compressor and make a switch mount.

Looking at the accelerator cable, while doing the heater hose I figured I could make it better. If you look in the first pic you can see that the cable has a deep bend in it where the bracket is. This is because it was originally a RHD and the cable came from a different direction, it also lines up the throttle bracket on the pump with the direction the cable used to come from.



So using my biggest cresent wrench, I removed the cable and un-twisted the bracket some.



Then reinstalled the cable and adjusted the tension.



You can see it is not quite as deep a bend, I wanted to move the whole bracket but it is one piece with the injector pump mount to the block.

A good part of my day today was spent cleaning up my 2.5 DT head and prepping it for storage or shipping.

I took a wire wheel to it and removed the old gasket and buildup and checked for cracks, none were visible.



It was then liberally coated with more WD40 and wrapped with Saran Wrap. As you can see I left the valves and springs and most of the manifold studs in place. Next a wooden box was built, and then stored out of the weather.




TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment