Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Discovery 200TDI into Series belt issues

Oh boy, I feel like I've really stepped in it this time. Been struggling with the power steering, alternator belt set up. I can't seem to find the right bits.

Starting with the PAS pump and alt from the 2.5DT only to find that they will not fit so I ordered a new 70amp alt from Craddocks. The problem is with where the tensioning ears are located in relation to the mounting pivot, the 2.5 is on the top and the 200 on the bottom.



Above is the new Disco one with the old pulley mounted.
Below is the proper belts in position awaiting the power steering pump. 



Then with the pump in place there are 2 things to look at, 1) the belt won't go on the alt, 2) neither the alt or the alt clamp clear the steering column.



So I tried moving the clamp hole over on the PAS bracket and grinding off some of the bracket to make clearance. While this helped it was not enough so I redid the process, moving the hole and grinding off material.



 Now the alt housing hits the curve of its mounting bracket limiting compression travel and the clamp slot limits extension travel but the belt is too long. I cut down the slotted clamp to help things fit.



And welded a hole in the end.



This allowed me to bring the alt closer and keep it out of the steering column, IF I can find a belt to fit..........I had to unbolt everything and force the belt on with a prybar for this pic but I need to have a field repairable setup. Also the adjusting clamp is on the wrong side of the PAS bracket.



So where am I at now? After many trips to the auto parts stores I have found that the particular size auto belt I need doesn't exist....Sigh.....but a power transfer belt such as a table saw belt does, I tried 2 of them today but they were too short. Then I took copies of my pics to the FLAPS and we decided on trying to get a different size pully on the alternator. The one which is currently on is a 63mm and my next larger options are 78, 81, 93mm, I am hoping to get all 3 and try them until one fits. Part of the issue is that there is only about 15mm of adjustment available on the slotted clamp between fully compressed and extended.



1 or the other not both.

Ok here's the update, I had the auto store ship(on my dime, of course) the 3 different size pulleys. The small old one is the one off my 2.5DT.





You can see that a couple of them were much wider. While contemplating which one to order I had done some math and figured the 81mm would be the one I would order, then I decided on trying all 3. The short story is the 81mm is the one that fit best with the stock belt, it's part # is from Carquest, 24-1104.

It was a bit of take off and try this and that before I settled on it but here's what it looks like;





Not too pleased with the clearance at the steering column I decided to move the steering box over by installing a 1/2" steel plate between it and the frame, I had to get some longer M12-1.75 x 70 bolts, here is the before pic;




And after;




the alignment



No comments:

Post a Comment