Saturday, March 21, 2015

locker install

So, if you read the I feel cursed post you know what happened. The response from Ashcroft was less than stellar IMHO!  What Dave emailed back was "Sorry, Just drill it and put in a 1/2 BSPT plug" "We can send you one"

I decided to put in a threaded bung on the back of the axle housing, I procured a 1/2"NPT( this is America after all) bung and plug along with a 1-1/8' hole saw.



 Then measured the one on my front axle and located the location with a pilot hole and drilled out the axle housing.



Using a magnet I held the bung in place



 and draggged out my welder and had a go at it. It was a disaster to say the least. Why you ask? Well I wear trifocal eyewear and I couldn't see what my puddle was doing, at one point I was about an inch away from the flange and another on the top edge..............bad....

So I ground it all off with a Dremel tool, took hours. Asked my son-in-law to come weld it up for me but he never came so 2 days later I asked my friend an fellow Rover addict Brett for help and he came over and did the job. A nice job too! Thanks Brett!

the inside;



the outside after painting;



Next was removing all the inside slag and debris from cutting and grinding. One of the tricks I use is to wrap a magnet in a cloth or paper towel and drag it around inside, every now and then removing it and taking the cloth away from the magnet and the iron drops to the ground and the cloth is reusable. I also sprayed with brake cleaner between magnetic treatments. I did this until I got no more steel particles.

Then I put on the locker;



Installed the ROAM 24spline axles using engine assembly grease;



And filled it with 90w!



Done!  Still have to figure out the air compressor location and run the lines, but that's not as important as getting the engine figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment