Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Land Rover leaking...

OK as promised here are the pics of stuff I have done.

First is the water pump bolts that leaked;


Next the plug in the dipstick hole;


Then there is the power outlet, it has a blue lite when energized;


The rest of the story is about the leaking injector pump. I struggled mightily today with it. For one thing it is difficult to get a wrench on the leaking diaphram. At first I thought it was just the crush washer leaking so I tightened the nut, once I found a small 3/4" wrench which would fit. It took me about 6 times crawling under and getting up to find the right size wrench. The diaphram is actually part of an automatic advance device for helping start up. After tightening it up it was restart and see if it leaked...which it did. So back under and this time I removed it and  checked the crush washer. It looked OK but I replaced it anyway and I put silicone on the washer/diaphram nut side. Then it was back under and re-install. Then up and restart and dive back under to see it leaking still....Out it comes again, this time I put silicon on both sides of the crushwasher and reinstall it. I wanted to let the silicon set up a bit this time
.


So I set about to make some floor mats for the front floor. I used the floor mats out of my 88 as a template and set them on a piece of conveyor belting I have.


I did the outline with a pencil and using my jigsaw and a rubber cutting blade I just cut them out.


Here are the drivers side and the passenger side mats;


After that was done I restarted the motor and checked the pump for leaks. It was still leaking, but this time I was able to get under the engine to see where it was coming from. Besides leaking on the top which I have always thought was the washers I was able to see fuel come out the breather hole in the bottom of the diaphram housing. Now I knew I would need a new one. Going back inside and on the computer I looked for proper terminology and hopefully a part number. I didn't find the part number but armed with the name I called up Diamond Diesel Service Inc. in Oakland, Ca. and talked with Terry. I didn't have the pump number onhand(it's somewhere) so I had to crawl under the 109 again and take a picture of the name plate on the underside. I couldn't read it from the ground but with the pic I could zoom in and read the number. Calling Diamond back I gave the number to Terry and he will call me back on Thursday with price and availability. And that is where I'm at this evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment