Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fairy overdrive--Land Rover, parking brake

     I opened up the top of the overdrive to see if I could see why is wasn't working so well. I didn't like what I saw.



    First thing I noticed was that it was dry........either I didn't refill it after installation or it leaked out whilst sitting for the time it was sitting. I remember wiping oil off the bottom after the first test drive but not sure it was from the OD or when the valve cover was loose.
    The second thing I noticed was the brass selector guide on the top is broken and twisted. It doesn't show in the picture but I can see the loose piece down the side still in the selector ring groove. Hopefully none of the gears are broken.
    I pulled it out and took the one from my 88, Ignotus, and put it in the 109. On the first test drive on my street it didn't want to shift but a later drive got it shifting. It will have to work good a few more times before I totally trust it.

     The parking brake bits came in and I put on the shoes. What I found out is that there are 2 ways of mounting the shoes. In my Series 2-2a workbook it has them with the fully lined ends BOTH fitted to the adjuster housing plungers. The Series 3 workbook has the upper fully lined end toward the adjuster housing and the lower toward the expander housing.
    It took a few tries with getting the springs on both shoes and pulling and pushing and not having the lower plunger fall out to get them on but it was done!
    The drum was replaced and the expander was adjusted to tight on the drum and then the expander set bolts tightened(to center the shoes) and slackened 2 clicks where the drum was free to move. A quick test drive and the adjuster was slackened another click due to a slight drag on the drum.

All good now! Works a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment