Thursday, November 14, 2013

Driving the Land Rover 109!

     First, I got up today and went to the FLAPS and bought some hose clamps. Then I installed the second stainless heater tube. I think it went well.



     After the install I started it up and checked for leaks. I still have a seeping leak on the turbo oil return line. Nothing else was leaking!

    So that meant it was time to go for a drive!  For god's sake turn down the sound as my camera has a horrible scratchy noise. Sorry!



    My first thoughts were how easy it is to steer compared to the stock non-power steering. How nice the disc brakes were and the smoothness when it stopped. The motor is so much quieter than before the cam work was done, How high up it sits with the parabolics and 285's on it.
     I found myself slightly oversteering as I got use to the power steering needing such little input. Going down Highway 9(see video) was easy with only 1 hand on the wheel. I could put it in fourth gear and just cruise around 35-40mph. Step on the pedal and it would speed up. The oil pressure seemed to be high at first running around 50 and down to 30 at idle, towards the end of the day it was running around 40 and 20 at idle. I thought to myself this must be what it is like to drive a Defender..........





     I made it to Santa Cruz and went to visit Linus and gave him a ride around the block. Then I went to see Darin the welder to ask about a future project. Lastly I stopped to show Henry ar Water Star Motors, as he has helped with advice about diesels. He thought it was running well and sounding good!

    Next up I thought I'd take it on the freeway so I headed up to Scotts Valley on Hwy 17. No problem getting on the freeway and up to speed as it accelerated well with out clouds of smoke. Not quite as fast on acceleration as a V8 but much better than my 2.25D 88. I did have it floored on the way up the hll to Scotts Valley the speedo indicating 55mph, it was going as fast as the big rig in front of me. Once it leveled out I thought I would try the overdrive and shifted into it. Man that one whines!! But it did work, rpm's dropped and the speed stayed up. Soon it was time to exit the freeway.
    Once on the offramp I shifted out of overdrive and there was a grinding and it wouldn't go back into either gear. Lucky for me the light changed and I coasted down the hill and took the first right turn, keeping my momentum I coasted to a parking lot. Here I stopped and it went in gear. I kept it out of overdrive and drove the 13 miles back home. I'll look at things on the morrow.
     Overall I was pleased with the drive. The OD was scary though.(at least it is not leaking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment