Friday, November 8, 2013

Land Rover 2.5DT dipstick

    If you have been following my blog(hell) you know that the dipstick tube was loose and I had to remove it and source a new one. If you haven't been following my hell(blog) you know now.

   After looking for the part number online and in my IPB #ERC8980. I called Trevor at Rovah Farm, http://rovahfarm.com/, because he had one on his website. Good thing we talked because he told me there were 2 types of fittings. One, like I had removed with fine thread on the fitting and another with coarse thread. The one I removed(fine) was determined to be 19 BSPP. Since at the time I didn't know which I had I had Trevor send one of each.

So here is a pic of the old and new fine thread fittings;



After the visual comparison I went out and removed the plug. That is when I found the thread damage.



     Then I tried to install the new tube with the fine thread. But it would not go on easily so I didn't try to force it. I took a close look at the plug threads and they seemed to be reformed in addition to torn off. I thought at this time I might need a tap to run down the hole. I called the Hose Shop to see if one was available as I was still convinced at this point that a fine thread fitting should be used after all that is what came out. No tap was available, so since I had time I thought I would try the other fitting with coarse thread.
    First since it looked larger I measured both the fittings OD's, the fine was .62 and the coarse was .67. Very close, the fine used an 11/16 wrench while the coarse used a 7/8". Next I used my mirror and a flashlight to try to see inside the hole. I could see that the threads were plainly coarse........
    Some previous owner or mechanic must have been very incompetent. Probably the same one who screwed up the cam and tappets............

Here's a pic of all the fittings together;

   It took a bit of work to get the tube and fitting in as I could only get it to turn one flat at a time and the wrench was too long to get good a fit.

     The coarse fitting which worked is part # ERC8980,  The fine thread fitting is part # 541860.

     Finally the tube was installed;

   

And the dipstick slid into place;



Now if only it won't leak.............

No comments:

Post a Comment