Tuesday, March 6, 2012

109 motor is in!

Yesterday Brian and Matt came over to help me put in the 2.5Dt. We got the cars out of the way and were ready to start the hard work but I couldn't find the engine mounts. On one side I had to grind away part of the rubber to get it to fit the mounting position.
So I HAD to find the one I already modified to fit. I knew where it was and quickly searched the garage but it wasn't there. So I looked in the shed,, not here either. How about in the house or on the back porch? I have parts everywhere and will be glad when they are all in one place, on the 109! But no not in the house or on the back porch.
Back to the garage again and sort thru the mess with a flashlight. Not in this box, not in that one. Meanwhile Brian and Matt are catching up with each other. I go thru the stuff pretty quickly but still no joy. So now I make a more detailed search and halfway thru Matt joins me in looking. I've been looking for about an hour now and am totally frustrated. I KNOW I haven't thrown them out. So I search everything I haven't opened yet, still no joy.
I'm tired of looking and now it's getting too late to start the install so I send Brian and Matt home. We end the day with promises of if I find them then tomorrow we can put it in.
They leave and I go in for a late lunch wondering WTF did I do with 'em. Now it is about 1530H when I go back out to the garage with fresh batteries in the headlight and I start a systematic search in a counter clockwise motion. I open every box read the label on every bag and feel the contents. Move the large stuff and look under, in and around everything!
No joy :^(
So I start the same routine on the contents of the shed. I am back in the corner looking thru a box of bits and my neighbor comes over to talk. We chit chat and the topic of my search comes up and I explain what I am looking for. I am about to give up and order a replacement so I can modify it to fit.
My neighbor leaves and I see a plastic tub under my daughters 88, it's been knocked over and is upsidedown. I pull it out and remember it had stuff for the 2.5 in it. So I opened it and there was the motor mounts! I KNEW I had them somewhere!!!
So I called Matt and Brian and told them it was on for today! We met at 1100(well Brian and I, Matt showed at 1120) for coffee in town and after that we headed to my house.
So we had to move the hoist out onto the street where it would roll. Then pull the trailer with the 2.5 in it out onto the street and pick the motor out. Put the trailer back, roll the 109 out so the front wheels were in the street and put the hoist in through the front. At this point we needed to reposition the engine as it was facing the wrong way. Then it was lower it down and put in the rubber mounts. Last was to push the 109 back into my drive and break down the hoist and put it away. All told it only took about 45 minutes start to finish.
Thanks to Brian and Matt for the help!

No comments:

Post a Comment