Thursday, March 22, 2012

oil cooler fitment

Sunday, I started fitting the oil cooler and radiator. I knew that I would need to remove some metal from the radiator support panel to allow the hoses to pass by. I just wasn't sure where and how much. I also need to find out how I was going to secure the oil cooler itself and see if I had enough clearance for the fan.
I started by bolting in the radiator support panel, I had to fabricate the rubber support pads for the install. Next I slid the oil cooler into the rad panel and set the radiator into position. This I loosely bolted in to keep it from falling.


Then I checked the fan fitment, it was good so I put it away. I have room for either the 2.25 steel fan or the 2.5 plastic fan. Unless I overheat I'm going with the steel fan.
Then I played around with the oil cooler(OC) placement. I had to have the bottom fitting on the left side away from the steering relay(RHD). One of my brake line clamps was in the way and would have to be changed. I marked the slots for the bottom brackets so I could drill mounting holes. The new hoses were slid into the rad panel and mounted to the oil filter housing. I marked the places where I would remove the material and took everything apart.


Using a flat round disc of the approximate arc I outlined on the rad panel where I need to cut. I cut arcs to try to avoid stress risers from square cuts. I wound up using my Dremel tool to cut the arc out and burned it up in the process. A little time with a hacksaw and metal files cleaned everything up! I refit the panel and checked hose clearances. All's good.
I called Brian up for coffee and gave him the panel to paint for me.

Returning home after coffee I decided to fit the fan belt. I had purchased it last year from Rovah Farm. Try as I might I could not get it to fit it is too small by maybe an inch! It's always something......The lump on the side of the alt hits the block. Then I don't have the spacer for the pivot bolt for the alternator. Now I'm trying to find the part number. It is this kind of stuff that makes it go so slow. I wish I could just go to my nearest Halfords and pick up the parts as needed@@##$@!
I did try my belt for my 2.25 motor and it fits but is a little large. I will go to my FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and see what I can get to fit. Thankfully I'm not on a deadline!!

No comments:

Post a Comment