Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Land Rover military oil cooler

I obtained a ex-MOD Series oil cooler from P.A. Blanchard in the UK.(https://secure.pablanchard.co.uk/forsale.asp)

With the motor in I can now try to fit the oil cooler and radiator. Brian had almost painted the radiator support panel first but we caught it in time cause I know I will have to do some cutting on it.
The cooler I got had some cosmetic damage as some of the cooling loops were bent. So I decided to straighten them out. You can see by the photos how it was done. I have a set of picks for pulling out o-rings and seals and stuff. I used one of these to grab a loop and pull it into position. Depending on the direction it needed to move I used either my right or left hand, not so easy if you are not as ambidextrious as I.

Sometimes the loop was kinda crushed, I found that if I hooked it on the fatter section of the hook I could pull it up and wiggle it side to side and it would take the orginal shape. It took about and hour to do the whole cooler, tedious but I like the result. I also plan on having a smaller mesh in front of the cooler so this kind of damage won't happen.









I have the oil lines from both the 2.25 and the 2.5 but neither would work for the hybrid setup. I need the 2.5 fittings on one end and the 2.25 fittings on the other. So I am going to have custom hoses made up at my local hose shop. Fortunately 1 of the guys who works there has the same setup on his 88.
I am looking for a new top for the thermostat housing. The 2.5 has the outlet going to the side and I need one of the 2.25's that has the vertical outlet. KISS=keep it simple stupid.
So now it is raining, probably for then next 5 days. I will do some reading on the motor as I am working out what hoses and wires are supposed to go where. When they removed the motor they just removed bolts and cut hoses, I got a bucket with loose parts.........
I set up the boost hose to the injector pump and the spill rail hose to the injector pump. I think I know where the fuel line goes from the fuel pump to the injector pump. I don't have a parts catalogue for this motor but have a Haynes and a LR workshop manual. Neither of which is as good as the old Series manuals!
I also have 2 Warn 8274 winches that I need to overhaul. I moved these to my back porch so they are out of the rain. Then Saturday my daughter is getting married.

No comments:

Post a Comment