Friday, March 4, 2016

Land Rover 200TDI fuel lift pump leaking engine oil

Yes, like the title says, I was driving my 109 and one morning checked the fluid levels and found my engine oil was below the low level line on the dipstick. So I crawled around looking for the leak and found oil all over the front propshaft, oil pan, oil filter and bottom of the fuel lift pump. Starting up the engine I could see oil pulsing at the end of the pivot for the pump lever.

    I thought I had a spare pump but it turns out the 19J engine and the 200TDI have different pumps. So I ordered 2 from Craddocks. The 200 is part #ETC7869, I went with the ETC7869G which is a Delphi product not some nameless Shitpart like my last one. The 19J fuel lift pump is part #563146.

First a pic of the 200TDI lift pump;



Here's a pic of the 2 side by side



Next the 2 gaskets, the 200 is on top



The gasket was secured to the face of the 200 pump with Permetex blue



And today during a light drizzle I swapped the bad one out for the new one.



I wasn't done yet though! I wanted to find out what I could about the leak so I started to dismantle the bad one. The lever which is in contact with the cam has to be removed by pulling 2 flat locater pins holding it's pivot shaft in the housing. I had to pry off the single sided manual lever in order to remove the pivot pin. Doing this essentially destroys the ability to put the lever back on. Under the lever is a washer to prevent rubbing on the o-ring(my guess).



Once the washer was removed I could see the o-ring. I then was able to knock the pin through the housing a little at a time. This exposed the o-ring on the other side.




The pin came out pretty easy and on one side the o-ring came with it. If you look closely at the center of the pin you can see 2 notches from wear on the cam lever.



Lastly a pic of the pin and o-rings and washer. If one could replace the o-rings and be able to re-attach the manual lever these could be rebuildable. As it is they were $31 from the UK and $40 in the US. My feeling is with shipping probably comes out pretty equal. But I ordered 2 so I have a spare.



I think I replaced the 200 pump when I got it running but could not find a receipt. If so it failed really quickly. Since it had no brand name I can only guess it was a Britpart and that's why I went with the Delphi.

Now ya know!

No comments:

Post a Comment