Wednesday, February 10, 2016

still chasing the Land Rover oil leak w/Update!

I cleaned up the cyclone separator trying to see if I could put another oring on the outside of the tube. But as you can see in the first picture there is no backing surface for an oring. That and the inside of the valve cover appears to be tapered at the entrance.



With a LOT of drilling and sanding I made a backing plate for some silicon goop. I used a thin piece of aluminum and cut out a 2 x 1-1/2" piece and measured and cut the appropriate pilot holes and finally used my Dremel to finish the larger 7/8" hole.



Then with some blue goop on it(Permatex) using the 8mm bolt it was affixed to the valve cover and left to set overnight.




Then today I made a short run and looked at the results.





Seems way better but something is still leaking so I started to chase it down or up in this case. I found a ring of diesel atop the #3 injector which I then tightened. After the engine cooled I cleaned it all up again and will take another test drive tomorrow. Whether or not the leak from the injector could get over to the valve cover I'm suspicious of. So methinks it is a valve cover gasket still seeping. Won't know until the last leak stops, right?

Also today I flipped the fuel cap locks around as I felt they stuck out too far and were too vulnerable.  In the LH side I actually had to grind down the edges of the hinge to get it to fit.




UPDATE; Feb. 13, 2016  It looks like I got the  oil leaks solved. The last one was indeed the fuel spill rail bolt not being tight enough. after a test drive I found that the #4 cylinder leak also was fuel from the spill rail bolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment