Sunday, February 14, 2016

Land Rover 109 another oil leak....!!!!

   I have been trying to go camping this weekend but the last 2 days as I was checking out the 109 to go I found leaks.

First I was low on coolant so I looked around and found a small puddle on the lower tank. So I drove int town and bought some K-seal figuring on putting it in last night when things cooled down. When I got home there was no evidence of a coolant leak. This morning either!?

   Upon looking around I saw oil on the underside of the engine and investigating more I discovered I was about a half gallon low. Then I found the oil on the turbo return pipe/hose.



This is one of the toughest jobs on my Rover the space is so tight and it takes a 1" spanner to undo the bottom fitting. Getting dirty I got in there and pulled the leaking bastard apart. What I found was partly my fault. When the shop pulled the engine from the Disco they just cut lines and hoses to do it quickly. Here they cut  thru the braided stainless steel hose on the return line.
    I cut the braided bit off with my dremel and used the fitting for the 200 and hose to go to the fitting under the turbo for the 2.5DT. Are ya still with me?
    When I cut the SS off I made a groove in the fitting and figured(wrongly) that it would seal with a hose clamp.



I guess it didn't....

Looking around through my spares I found a replacement hose section. ERR3492. So I proceeded to check thread and sizes and make sure the length was good. Satisfied I installed it starting at the bottom to support it's weight while I threaded the top fitting on. It wouldn't go on though...WTF?  I tried for and hour wiggling the pipe this way and that, pulling the old one over and rechecking  diameters. Then I stopped for lunch. Going back out I worked on it for I don't know how long, at least another hour. Nothing would make it thread on, I couldn't even get it to cross thread.
    So I took it off and tried the old one, it went right on. This needed closer inspection, I cleaned the spare threads with a file and retried it, still wouldn't fit. something had to be different!  Side by side I looked at them and noticed the spare has the threads starting lower on the fitting whereas the original has thread all the way up.

Spare on the right.



Now I had to make the original work. So I put my palm sander in my vise and proceeded to sand off the grooves on the old fitting



Once that was done I loosely assembled the combo. Below is a pic of both assemblies;



Then installed the new and improved original and fired up the engine and checked for leaks.

bottom


top


No leaks at idle so cross your fingers.


Looking at the parts books I see that the 19j engine has what I have currently fitted, ie a pipe/hose/adapter while the 200 has the above mentioned 1-piece pipe. The part numbers for the 19j stuff are;

upper pipe   ETC 7654 and ERR3494
Adapter       ETC 6640  and ERR335

The ETC numbers are early engines and the ERR's are later ones.

Update;   I drove it about 30 miles today and no leaks. Oil or coolant!

No comments:

Post a Comment