Friday, February 5, 2016

Land Rover cyclone oil leak

After some driving around and searching for the cause of my oil leak I looked at the o-ring on the cyclone separator coming off the valve cover. When I went to remove it it broke. It was rock hard. I changed my clothes and took my motorcycle down to The Hose Shop and bought a replacement. After installing the o-ring and then the separator. I ran the engine for about 15 min giving it some sustained rpm's a couple of times.

   Also done was I tightened the stud for the injector clamp on #1 even though it didn't seem loose.

Here are some before pics of the leaks;

#1 cylinder area

above the separator looking at the valve cover gasket



At the top of #3 cylinder



and lastly the bottom of #3 cylinder area



Even after doing all this and no leak in the driveway I am still not convinced that the valve cover gasket is not leaking. So I have to go for a drive and see. I can't abide to be having oil leaking out like that all the time. I couldn't reliably take it any long trip distances fearing my oil would disappear before I could find more.

O poop! I just drove it into town and back and it appears that the O-ring isn't keeping all the oil in, however it is less than before. DRAT! On the good side the #1 and 3 cylinder stuff appears to have dried up!

No comments:

Post a Comment