Saturday, August 15, 2015

Land Rover oil in exhaust

OK, the other day I took the turbo off(I'm getting good at that!) and in an effort to determine where the oil is coming from, ran the engine. I could see that it definitely is coming from #3 exhaust port. In the video you can see it is dry to start with and then oil starts to deposit on the exhaust divider. Around the same time the oil shows up the exhaust begins puffs of blue smoke. I wasn't sure how much oil and smoke there would be or how loud, hence all the safety gear. I still got oil on my glasses....

Now to determine the cause. I am going to try to find a video scope to look into the exhaust port and see if there is any obvious telltales. I am also going to remove the #3 glowplug and shoot some air in the combustion chamber with the valve cover off and see if I get any bubbles.

Enough typing here's the video;

8-15-15 1159h
Well, I just got back from doing the air test and that did not work as it pushed the piston back down and changed the valve timing. I went to the FLAPS and bought some Seafoam I'm going to throw it in the fuel tank and see if that does any good. Too hot outside to do much more today.

8-16-15 1111h

Hooked up the turbo and exhaust and fired it up this morning still leaking around the turbo. I also have a pretty severe oil leak coming from a stud holding on the waterpump and timing cover. That and my brake fluid all draining out of the leaking seals makes the darn car undriveable.
     I pulled the nut off the stud and cleaned up the area and put on some silicone(Perematex blue) hoping to seal the leak.  Supposed to be 103F today.

I can't get a effing break!

No comments:

Post a Comment