Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Land Rover brake bleeding

I had to wait until Monday for the auto store to open so I could get enough brake fluid and start bleeding the system.

 Using the 1 man procedure I filled the reservoir and attached a length of tubing to the bleeder, with the other end of the tube in a partly filled jar I cracked the bleeder open. Starting with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder. Moving to the cab I slowly depressed the brake pedal and released it 8 times. Then checked the fluid level and refilled it. Again I worked the pedal slowly 8 more times. Then closed the bleeder valve.

   Moving next to the other rear wheel I did the same and moved on to the front brakes. This has a larger reservoir so I pumped them 10 times. Once both fronts were bled and closed I tried the pedal and it was firm!!!

I should have no more issues with the braking system (fingers crossed!).

Of course I had to test them so I got my keys and fired up the 109. Cautiously I moved forward a few feet and applied the brakes and then in reverse. They worked.

Venturing out of the drive onto the street I drove forward and back a few times. They worked.

Gaining confidence I headed down the hill and had to stop and pull over for an oncoming car. They worked.

Going to the steepest part of the hill and stopping I applied the parking brake, it slowly rolled forward..... but the brakes worked.

Now I was committed below me lay the road and I would either have to back up or go down. Of course I went down :) aware I did not have my drivers license or phone I ventured onto the road and went about 1/4 mile to where I could safely turn around and headed home. The brakes continued to work and I made it home without incident.

Once home I popped the bonnet to check for leaks, none in the braking system but the oil bubbling out the turbo flange was making a mess!

It was a hot day so I called it quits.


Well I thought I did anyway. Whilst lounging about the house I decided to let the engine cool some and then remove the turbo and exhaust. I have decided to take them in to a machine shop an see if they can fly cut the turbo flange flat to help with it sealing.

    So while the exhaust was warm I stood in the hot sun (94F) and took all the turbo and exhaust off cleaned it up and packed it on my motorcycle for the trip into town in the am.

No comments:

Post a Comment