Saturday, August 29, 2015

Land Rover 109, delayed

Delayed,

    Those not strangers to this blog won't be surprised.

   I had the turbo and exhaust manifold off to try to make the flange a better fit. While it was off I had my son-in-law, Andy, bring over his bore scope which he uses for his plumbing business.

Putting it in the exhaust port we could see it was really oily, no surprise there. The next morning I cleaned the port out with brake clean and stuck the camera back in. Then I poured oil over the springs/valve to see if it would leak and I could see from where. Nothing jumped out I even rotated the crank and watched but couldn't see anything conclusive.

Then after removing the intake manifold I looked in all the ports and found oil on both the intake and exhaust valve guides. So I decided that I would order new valves, guides, seals. When they come in i will pull the head and remove the valves myself and take the head down to get the seats faced and the guides replaced. That's if tearing it down doesn't show any cracks in the head.

I am guesstamating a 2 week turnaround  from Monday Aug 31.

Thanks, Andy!

No comments:

Post a Comment