Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rover 109 crankshaft and cot

OUCH!  I took a look at some things on my 109 today. One of which was the crankshaft pulley. At first I attempted to just knock it back on the shaft. After a few taps I realized that it was not on the key. ;^(   So I removed the belts and then I could turn the damper/pulley by hand and I knew it wasn't on the key, I could however still feel the key so all was not lost.
     First I tried to remove the damper and pulley but the pulley hit the bottom of the radiator and wouldn't come off. So I removed the bolts holding the pulley to the damper and it all came off. Once the damper was off I could see both the damper and the crankshaft were scored due to the damper spinning on the shaft. I think I was lucky to find this before the damper came off and did some real damage banging around on the radiator!


     Since the damage is confined to the damper and the end of the crankshaft I think I'll be OK just putting it back together as it won't affect the timing at all.  Everything is cleaned up and ready for when the bolt shows up to go back together.

I also took the dash off to investigate the YN wire I had hooked to the glowplugs following the cam rebuild. It went behind the dash and to nothing. The terminal however was bare and touching the painted surface of the bulkhead. I don't know if this was a power drain or not when energizing the hotplugs.... So I taped up the behind the dash terminal so I would know it was not in use and then did the same to the under the bonnet terminal, plus I zip tied it out of the way so I wouldn't get confused by it again!

Also on today's agenda was replacing the vent operating control. I had found a good one in my parts pile and after some fly screen removal I was able to finagle the old one off and put on the new. Then I couldn't get the vent all the way closed! I puttered around outside until a nice gal came by and asked her for some help. I pushed on the vent while she pulled the knob. But no go??? I thanked her and away she went. I struggled with it again by myself, eventually I resorted to a screwdriver in the slot the knob uses and pried the knob down until the vent closed. New seals are nice but what a pain in the ass!

     A few days ago I worked on changing out my too wide cot for a narrower one. Once again luck swung my way as the new cot could use the same poles as the old one! The poles were strung and the new location marked for the seat bulkhead and holes drilled and rivenuts installed and the orginal support moved over. Then it was what do I do about the door end? Turns out the pole lined up with my latch for the table so I couldn't very easily put it there. A good thing as it forced me to look more into a support I could do while the door was open.
     So using a 2x4 I made a spreader bar for the poles by drilling 2, 1.5" holes 22.125" apart(edge to edge), and cutting the holes thru the middle to make half holes at each end. Next the front support was measured to the floor and I drilled a 1.5" hole in another 2x6 and cut it to length and halved the hole. these were put into place and tested to 400+lbs. I want to make something easy and simple and elegant for the final version but at least now I know what works.


No comments:

Post a Comment