Thursday, January 23, 2014

109 land rover- cot support, reciever step

   Ok, first thing is as I was putting the damper and pulley back on I was thinking about how poorly it was catching on the key to the timing gear on the crankshaft. But I put it back together, mainly because I didn't realize thet the damper woodruff key was also missing.
     That night I realized it and haven't driven it, the new key is on the way. I was thinking that the timing gear key has migrated out and if I lose that then things really go bad!
     As I was tensioning the alternator I found the adjusting link bolt hole threads had stripped out. So I had to remove the alt, no easy task, drill and tap the hole, remove the adjusting link and file out the slot then put it all back in. What a PIA(pain in the ass!)!

    Anywhoo, While I'm waiting on parts I solidified a design in my head for my cot support. I had some 2" exhaust tubing laying around and combined with some 1/2" rod, Viola! I cut 3--1" pieces out of the tubing and using the measurements from doing my wooden prototypes I cut the rod and welded one of them with a piece at both ends, This would be the spreader bar. On the other rod was welded 1 piece of the tubing and at the other end I made a 5" circle of 22ga flat sheet. The rod was welded to the circle at the correct length. I went with circles as opposed to "U" shapes to keep the rods in position should I be driving with the cot in the open position. If things bounce around the bits should stay on.





   Another thing I have been toying/struggling with is the large step up from the ground to the step mounted on the crossmember. With the parabolics and uneven ground it is 38" from the ground to the tub floor. That is a big step! Even with the folding step it is 28" from the ground, more doable but still a big step. So I got some 2" square tubing and  cut a 45 degree at 6" from one end. flipping the cut ends together made a  90. The 2 45's were welded together and one end was made 12" in length. To this end I welded a piece of 3/16" that I cut out for a step shape.
    I put the 6' end in my reciever and marked the hole position for a securing bolt. At the same time I marked another set of holes to put the step in a stowed sideways position. These were all drilled out at the same time. Next time I'd drill the holes prior to welding......I would also like to put on a folding step like on the crossmember, maybe later. The step was painted yellow cause I know while moving around it it will be a shin knocker!!!




    May not be the prettiest set up but it works. A 11/16" bolt was procured and I cut off the threads and drilled a hole for the hitch pin so the step can be secure. Now the distance from ground to crossmember has been halved. It is a little unwieldy getting out due to stepping around/over the square tubing but I can deal with that!

I updated the cot set up;   https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2016/07/109-cot-update.html

I've also changed out the fixed receiver step for one of the folding ones seen next to it. Mo betta!

https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2018/05/receiver-hitch-on-series-land-rover.html

No comments:

Post a Comment