Saturday, January 18, 2014

Land Rover crankshaft bolt +tiedowns

    Well Trevor at Rovah Farm got the replacemant crankshaft bolt to me. As of yet I had no crankshaft damper wrench. Earlier I had made a cardboard template for my idea of a wrench. I bought a piece of 3/16" x 18" flat steel. These were taken to the welder and the steel cut to shape. Once that was done(the day after the part came in) I picked it up and brought it home. There I drilled 4 holes for 1/2" rod to go thru. These lined up with the holes in the damper. In the center of the big end I drilled a 2 1/16" hole to fit the boss on the damper the crankshaft fits in.
    The 1/2" rod bits are 3/4" long and were welded in place, after trial fitting. Unfortunatly I took no pics as I was concentrating on getting my Rover running.
    When the tool was cool from welding, I got all the bits together and crawled under the front of the 109. The damper was put inplace on the key and the wrench braced against the diff. I screwed in the bolt by hand as far as possible then used the socket and breakerbar. I tightened it up as far as I could then hooked my legs on the outside of the wheel and pulled on the breakerbar with all my might, it turned another quarter inch and then stopped. So I did it again and it moved fractionally. On the third pull it didn't budge. The book says 200ft-lbs, I figure I'm around there...........

     Here are pics of my wrench;



I installed some tiedown loops in the back of the 109 tub. They are just generic loops rated to 300#. I wanted to fit them for better access and ease when packing. To me they fitted better when I bent the one end and fit them on the angle side of the capping. I used 1/4-20 rivnuts to secure the brackets to the capping. Here's the pics;



No comments:

Post a Comment