Thursday, January 9, 2014

109 19J motor

     I like the 19J motors performance upgrade it's given my 109 over the 2.25's I've driven in the past. It feels peppier than them. I'd put it up there with the Chevy 235 in my last 109, but not as quiet.
    I have however been learning how to start it up. My first procedure was to go out and run the glow plugs then crank it over. The cranking took a long time to fire it up with clouds of white smoke. So I increased the glow plug on time, with the same results. It always started though.
    So I got to thinking that perhaps the glowplugs are not working. When I installed the motor I had it all working I thought. Then I had to do all that cam replacement work. Did I get it all back OK? So I went to check.  It seems that I had hooked up and extra wire to the glowplug that goes into the dash but I don't know to what, yet. I also moved the power wire from the #4 glow plug, ala series wiring and moved it to #3 hot plug as I have seen in some online pics for parallel wiring.
    When started up cold and using the "new" wiring it seemed to start quicker and with less time on the hot plugs. Whilst poking around while it was running I decided that I needed to move the hose clamps on my lower radiator hose.
    This has been slowly dripping ever since the cam work. It looked like the top clamp wasn't all the way on the waterpump fitting and causing the drip. So I shut off the motor and moved the clamps. Then restarted it. While I was checking for the leak I noticed that my crankshaft bolt was missing!
    The crankshaft bolt holds the pulley on the front of the carnkshaft, somehow somewhere it fell off and I have no spare. I remember tightening it up after putting on the pulley. Must not have been tight enough, the book calls for 192 to 206ft-lbs. My torque wrench only goes up to 150 so I set it to that and gave it all I had, must have not eaten my Wheaties that day........
    Ordered another one from Rovah Farm. Never seems to end sometimes. My bolt is the big headed style part #ETC7934.
    Once I get that I will get back to driving it. It is getting around 20mpg as a daily driver.

   Even though it has been in the 30-40F range around here I haven't found the need to use the heater other than demisting the windscreen. It gets downright hot in the footwell! Not boding well for Summertime driving...  Part of the issue is the way the heater air intake hose is routed. Just to the side of the radiator support panel is the intake so air is pushed in by the forward motion thru the heater core and into the cab where it is aimed directly ahead of my knees. So the air flow hits my door and heats up my left knee first! I figured out my air flow gates were partially open and closed them better and this helped by deflecting the hot air up to the demisters. I think I will have to put in a valve on my heater water lines to keep the heater core cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment