Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Land Rover busy.!.!.!

I don't know about you but I've been busy(well most days).

Puttering around on the 109 most of the time, worrying about how I'm gonna figure out the wiring. I had put out feelers for help but no-one was responding. So I asked again and a fellow fourwheeler in the area came thru. Nate came over on a Friday afternoon and we hashed out some of my confusion. In the process I found that the Series 3 diesel wiring diagram was the closest to what I was trying to accomplish. The best example I found was on the Series 2 Club forum in the UK, http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/index.php/topic,58789.0.html
It is a PDF format. I think it was the colour coding that helped the me.
So over the next couple of days I went at routing and hooking up the brown wires that all have unfused power from the battery to the starter, alternator, fusebox. The fusebox needs mentioning I found on Amazon a 10pole LED indicating fusebox w/cover using ATC blade fuses from Ties4less; http://www.amazon.com/10pole-Indicating-Fuse-Block-cover/dp/B004S2YCE6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1365635582&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=fuse+box+10pole

One of the cool things about this one is the led lights up for a bit when the fuse blows!
So eventually I got the brown wires figured out then I had to figure out a control wire from the key to the starter solenoid. Once this was done I figured I'd see if I did it correctly and went to see if the motor would turn over. This link takes you to the video;
After that worked I thought I'd be smart and hook up the glow plugs and see if it would start!
I almost had it and then;
After that it was much easier to find out where the other wires were to go so I have been working on that. I'm almost finished with the wiring. I have to put in another switch and temperature and voltmeter guages. There are switches for the rear spot light, front off road lites(which I don't have yet), wipers. There are LED's for the turn signals(green), the rear spot(orange) front offroad lites(orange) and I have 2 red LED's waiting for something. I still need to decide if I'm going to use the low fuel level warning light--I may convert it to LED.....

I saw a deal on some seat covers from The Kexby Limited Company; www.kexbylimited.com  for water resistant canvas seat covers on the D-90 forum. So I sprung for a set of brown ones.
When I got the 109 it had the old turn signal switch in the dash and it was broken. I found another like it with a good housing and between the 2 I was able to make 1 working one. So I set about to wire it into the system. Once it was wired in I decided that it would be awkward to use so I took it out and put on a Tex-Magna instead. This mounts on the column and will be easier to use, I just will have to remember to turn it off as it has no drum on the column to rotate on.
So I have ordered an accelerator cable and a non-return valve for the servo(hopefully the correct size). Once those are on and the temp, volt guages there will need to be a reckoning with the air cleaner and the power steering reserviour then it will be driveable. Perhaps by the end of April but by the end of May for sure! With any luck it will get out of the driveway!!!!!!!  And stop! ;^)

No comments:

Post a Comment