Wednesday, March 20, 2013

misc Land Rover 109 stuff

Ok yesterday I got my lengthened steering link back from the welder. We added 9in to the center with some cold rolled mild steel rod. The welder, Daren of ArcTec in Santa Cruz, took a 16" bar rod and turned 4" down on each end to fit inside the split stock steering link. Then he welded the seam and drilled and put in welds into the inner shafts to make it stronger.

I brought it home and cleaned it up and sprayed it with black bed liner from Duplicolor. The same stuff I've used elsewhere. It was not dry enough to install today.

So instead I worked on making a large guage/switch panel to fit the right side of the steering column. I used an old small panel as a template and using some measurements made a new panel out of a piece of aluminum I had laying around. Once it was shaped and bent I marked the holes and drilled everything out. Then with my rivenut tool I put in 3 of them to hold the panel in place. Now I just have to figure out what to put in it!

So before drilling any holes I've covered it with the truck bed liner ;^) Just hoping to keep it from getting scratched.

After that was made I went to task on my demisters. Last week I discovered that I couldn't use any of the one's I have because of the interference of the single motor wiper system that's been installed. To make it work I hade to make the RH one 5/8" taller from between the screw holes to the hose opening. Not done yet so there are no pics. I am not sure if I will make the LH side larger or not to match. Still have to put in the hose hole and figure out the connection for it. Plus strip and repaint the old seatbase lid I made it out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment