Thursday, August 27, 2020

Land Rover delay------Fire!

 27 Aug 2020


Well, there is going to be an undetermined delay on the next project.

On 15 Aug 2020 the State of California experienced an unusual lightening storm with over 4000 strikes setting 650 fires.





One of these fires, the CZU fire, tore thru long unburnt forest in my County. Because of so many fires resources were limited and many of them could not be stopped. Every County in California had a wildfire except San Francisco County.

The fire raged and eventually 77,000 peoples were evacuated including me. I was evacuated Tuesday 18 Aug 2020 actually leaving around 0300 on the 19th with most of my camping gear and those valuables I thought of at the time.

As you regular readers will know My roof was just painted and I was researching doing the headliner and because of this work my roof rack is not on. I did grab my OZtent RV3, but had to leave my Rhino Rack Batwing awning as well as the gearbox I just picked up from Timm Cooper. I left my trailer since it is full of junk right now, plus I was going to a motel and didn't want to have the added hassle for parking a trailer would bring. Besides, it was just going to be for a few hours, right? Then they would have the fire out, right? Right?

Wrong. The forest was dry and the flames hungry, they ate through California's first State Park, Big Basin, Then climbed the side of the Ben Lomond Mountain, pluton heading South towards Santa Cruz and down the Hwy 236 towards Boulder Creek and my house, while the West side devoured it's way to the Pacific Ocean. Eating the 1909 Park Lodge and so far 634 structures and 81,000 acres with 1 death.

I am OK my 109 and I got out, but not my motorcycle and many family heirlooms.

As of today it seems they have started to gain control, this morning 19% containment, and are starting to repopulate some of the more distant evacuations.

Right now my house is OK, it is 1/2-3/4 mile from the fire front and the town of Boulder Creek is in between. It will probably be a week or more before I can go home.


Here are a couple of pics. 

From my neighborhood Wed.





Smoke over Monterey, California


The fire went through Swanton Pacific Railroad; https://sprr.calpoly.edu/



And that's if for now !

Like and subscribe

4 comments:

  1. Gene... happy you're doing OK... down here two of our close friends lost both of their homes - one in the River and one in Carmel Valley. Keep the faith! Marc and Tash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marc, What an unreal year! and there is still a wild election to go. Sorry about your friends losing there places. I'm sure when I get home I'll find some who lost theirs. :^( It's going to change Santa Cruz for a long time!

    ReplyDelete