Friday, May 5, 2017

Land Rover output shaft seal replaced

My output seal decided to leak. I found it by the drip from my transmission brake when I went to check the transfet case oil level. It wasn't bad and the case was full so I figured I would still drive it.

Well the next day I drove 6 miles and then I could smell oil so I pulled over and it was dripping a lot! So I canceled my bike ride and went home. On the way I had a guy at a one way stop for storm damage walk up and tell me he thought I needed oil due to the smell......I told him thanks and it was a diesel.

It was too hot to do any work so I waited a day more for it to cool down. Then I went to work.

Pulled the rear prop shaft while the oil was draining out of the transfer case. Disconnected the handbrake bell crank from the frame and linkage. Removed the oily brake drum and Yeow!, was it a mess in there with oil! Removed the output shaft w/flange.

I could have stopped there as I now had access to the seal. But I knew it would be easier to replace if I removed the speedo drive housing and worked on it on my bench. So off came the brake backing plate and the speedo housing.

Some brakeclean  sprayed on it cleaned most stuff up and I pounded out the old seal. Cleaned out the mating surface and smeared some gasket maker on the outside of the new seal and pounded it in. Crap! It wouldn't go in a deep as the old seal so I really wailed on it. It bent......That is when I noticed that it was thicker than the old seal.




So I pounded it out and in the above pic you can see them side by side.

Now I have heard on some forums that you can put 2 seals in there to help with the sealing. Not with the genuine ones I have; FRC1780G's



I couldn't find a brand name on the old one, perhaps, SKF  it says CR16245USA on it.


I put a good seal in the speedo housing and using all shims after cleaning them reinstalled it.

Next I cleaned up the brake shoes and backing plate and that was a chore. It is so much easier to reinstall the brake shoes using a vise than it is under the vehicle. All clean they went back on the 109 and then I put in the output flange and the cleaned brake drum.

An now it sits. for a couple of reasons. 1) the propshaft boot has fallen apart and I am looking for a new better option, mainly a shock boot. In the process I have discovered that from the factory they didn't come with a boot.. While cleaning up the propshaft I found that the felt seal under the nut on the female section of the propshaft is missing. I have queries out on forums and part suppliers.
     2) I fear that the seal between the mainbox and the transfer case has failed and haven't checked it due to time constraints.
    3) I am tired of working on the 109 and just want it to be reliable. I'm too old for this shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment