Friday, April 28, 2017

Fuel extension tube install

When I put in my second fuel tank under the drivers seat I did not have an extension tube for it. I have been keeping an eye out for one online but hadn't found one. They make pouring a NATO can in SOooo much easier!

Finally I advertised for one on the GnR forum and Colin replied that there was one in a thread on the Series 2 forum for free. So I quickly chased it down and the Poster, 602 agreed to give it to me and post it up from the UK to the States. Of course I offered to pay the postage.

 I received the tube this week and it is in awesome condition! Many thanks 602!!! My hero! The magazine wrapping paper was a bonus!

The hard part was to figure out how to attach the chain to the bottom of the main tube. My hands are too large to fit down in there and I had no tool to clamp the chain that would be long enough. Then I remembered that they made a double scissoring needle nose pliers that is quite long. I stopped in at my local hardware store and found one with the bent nose. PERFECT! (he said)




This tool was able to reach down the tube and clamp the chain, but it wasn't easy. It took about 10 min to get 'r done. I had to hold the lock hasp out of the way, the flashlight, the chain and the pliers all at once. And not drop any of them down into the tank! I wound up with the flashlight in my mouth, blocking the hasp with the chain in my right hand so I could keep tension on it and turn it so the pliers could grab it, with the pliers in my left hand to do the initial clamping. Whew!

Looking down the tube with the chain held in the fixin loop.



The final result;



I know, but I like them longer to get way out of the way.

Just a grammar note;  I tried to use the word plier but is gets underlined as a misspelling. So I looked it up in my paper dictionary. Comes back as plier, one who plies (a trade).  While the correct spellin I needed was pliers which I took to be plural for a single plier.  Never too old to learn, or most likely in my case to re-learn.

2 comments: