Friday, November 20, 2015

Yikes!! Update

Well, I purchased the studs from Timm Cooper, regular Series 3 studs, part #576825 made in Great Britain and are 10.9 grade steel. They came in last night's post so today I got up and swapped them out.

I had to remove the halfshaft which I did by removing the flange and pulling the whole thing out. Then with the lug nuts loose I jacked up the corner and put a jackstand under it. Next off was the wheel and then the brake caliper which was tied up and away.


Quickly I undid the lock nuts for the hub and removed them and the lockwasher allowing for the hub to slide off. Popping it in the vise I was able to undo the bolts attaching the brake disc to the hub.

At this point I futilely tried to remove a stud with my vise but we weren't up to the task. So it was off to the auto shop where it cost me $3 a stud to get them R&R'd. But the job was done!

So coming home I reinstalled the disc, hub to axle and caliper to disc. Adjusted the wheel bearing and temporarily put on my spare wheel.


Everything laid out;



Used a new lock washer;



The old studs;



Spare on but still jacked up;



So after cleaning up I called the rim supplier and they do not have an idea of when the new run will be made other than it better be this year!. Oh, well that will give me time to get new lug nuts...........

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment