Sunday, November 8, 2015

Putting on the 200TDI head

So I waited for a day and contacted my son in law to use his borescope(again) to look inside the ports to see if I could ascertain what the devil was going on. I finally got it on Friday evening.

   Saturday morning when it warmed up enough to work outside I plugged in the battery for the scope and piddled around waiting for it to charge up. It wouldn't take a charge.........story of my life, right?!

   Despondently I mentally said fuck it and started to put it back together. Mounting the manifold gasket and the intake manifold then following with the exhaust manifold. Taking care to bolt everything up in sequence so I wouldn't have to remove it to put the other thing on first. Something I'd learned in earlier replacing sequences.
   The exhaust manifold was on then I put the turbo on using a new gasket and hooking up the oil supply and drain lines and the boost hose. Next I had to crawl under the 109 to fit the exhaust down pipe. I did this carefully as there have been quite a few black widow spiders in the neighborhood this summer. I killed 2 on my front porch and 2 on my 88, my cross street neighbors had killed 3 in the garage and 1 in the front porch and yet another behind the living room drapes.

     Once everything was hooked up and the oil level checked there was nothing left but to start it up and watch it leak.

    Or so I thought.  It started OK and warmed up I could see oil on the turbo from when I pressure checked it to see if it was leaking. I had forgotten to wipe the exterior clean. At first that gave me a start until I figured out where the oil had come from.

   So I waited,..................and waited,.................................................and waited. but no oil showed it's ugly black face oozing past my gaskets.

    The temp gauge read normal and no oil leak. I took my neighbor down to the mailbox and back for a test drive. Popping the bonnet and a flashlight showed,,.......no leak! I was amazed(still am).

    I put away tools and transfered them to the 109, then I drove 1.5 miles away and back at around 40mph. At the turn around point I checked.....no leaks!!!
    Returning to the driveway,.........no leaks!!!!!  Had the leaks stopped by themselves? Had I just sealed the gaskets tight enough so the oil is now traveling down the exhaust pipe and has yet to reach the end?

I don't know.

    I was going to go get a celebratory beer in the 109 but before I left I checked the exterior lamps to see if they were all working as darkeness was approaching. The tail lights were not functioning. So I popped open the dash hoping for a loose wire but it was more complicated than that.

   Today was spent sorting out the wiring at the combi switch. Putting in the separate starter/glowplug switch complicated things and I had to sort them out in the rain.

Fingers crossed!
The completed engine;



As an aside I can hear the turbo spool up when outside the vehicle and slow down when shutting it down. Not something I noticed with the 2.5DT.

   Next up a series of short runs of increasingly longer drives to check things out.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment