Tuesday, February 3, 2015

200TDI 109 in the engine bay! Yay!

So "They" say it is going to rain on Thursday, well we can only hope, but it spurred me to getting the 200 into the 109. The other day I put on the motor mounts but only loosely, today I researched the torque for the bolts(60ftlb) and tightened them up.
     Then I did some cleaning on the motor[ aren't cordless drills great!], changed out a bad bolt on the waterpump and started shifting the 2 motors around to get the old motor out of the way. While I was doing this my neighbor Bob came over and asked if I needed any help.........he meant just moving the motor. So I told him what I was doing and that I was almost ready to put the 200 in the frame. He watched me slide the 2 motors across the plywood into position. Then he said "Well, you know I'm leaving in a few minutes." So I told him I'll just get another neighbor and he pointed out they weren't home either. To which I replied "well I have 2 days."
     Bob's a nice guy so he said he would help and leave a little late.

So I dragged the hoist in front of the 109 with the motor between the extended legs and hooked it up, Bob coaching me into position all the time. Then I began to lift it, of course the motor swung back as it lifted and now was fouled by the bumper.......We moved the 80# wheel chock at the rear and rolled the Rover back about 4". Then I went back to pumping the hoist up....and up......and up.......and up........and up......enough to have the oil pan clear the control cover for the 8274 Warn on the bumper.

   Once high enough I started to push the hoist down the hill on the plywood, a couple of things were happening; the ply was compressing due to the weight and the hoist was tippy if you pushed on the upper part of it.  I managed to get the engine past the winch and started it down so it would be easier to move. From there on it was a matter of move it back, lower..repeat...repeat until the LHD side was on the motormount rubber already in the frame.
    Unfortunately the back of the flywheel housing had dropped below and in front of the crossmember. So I dragged out my floor jack after trying vainly to move it by brute strength. As I jacked it up it popped over the crossmember and I went to the RHD side and pushed and pulled and lowered the engine so the RHD was sitting on the motor mount and both were holding the weight of the motor.

IT WAS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




View from the front.



I think because the injector pump is higher on the Disco engine I may have to revamp my battery tray or move it under the seat or the tub.



I hooked up a few misc things like fuel lines and stop soleniod wire then cleaned up. Felt good a productive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment