Sunday, February 1, 2015

200TDI

     With the help of my neighbors I moved the 200 next to the DT and began the process of cleaning and swapping parts. I put on the dip stick tube and the turbo oil line then the waterpump. I have to get 1 new bolt for the waterpump. I needed to get 2 new bolts for the motor mounts of which I put on the LH side loosely. To put the pump on I made a new paper gasket with the hammer, greased it up on both sides and put it on.


     The real fun came with trying to figure out if I could use the 200 flywheel housing to bolt to the Series bellhousing. I was told that I would need the FWH from the DT to make it work.
   Why?, I asked myself, and then taking a bellhousing I put it up to the FWhousing for a look see. What I found is that one of the studs on the 200 fly doesn't line up with a hole in the Series bell. Just look at the pics you can see there is a hole in the fly just below the offending stud.




My solution was to drill out the lower hole and tap it for the stud. First I measured the depth of the studded hole with a drill bit and then drilled to a matching depth. I used a 7/32 for a pilot hole and then finished with a   11/32 and using a 10 x 1.5 tap I finished off the change.



   There were 2 locating pins on the fly to remove, using small visegrips I tried unscrewing them and realized they were pressed in and just worked them out.





Next up was a trial fit of the bellhousing.



Perfect! Even if I do say so myself.....

Still leaves unanswered what to do about the bottom bolt/stud issue. On the TDI, 3 allen bolts are used in the bottom which go thru the bell and fly and into the ladder frame, while the Series just used studs into the flyhousing. These allen holes do not line up with the bell stud holes.
   I could drill and tap the holes for the studs like I did for the other stud adjustment and lose the fly to ladder connection or I could drill the bell for the allen holes, or I could not use them at all which is what I have heard others do. No lower bolt/studs, just the 3 on the bottom would be missing. I dunno on one hand I'd like to have the thru bolt connection to the ladder but lots of work as the bell I will use is bolted to the gearbox, not the spare in the photo. On the other hand the studs worked just fine in all the Series.......


No comments:

Post a Comment