Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Land Rover axle breathers

G.day,   I bought a breather kit from Robin on the Series 2 forum. This includes all the bits for both axles and the transfer (xfer) case and over drive (OD). I had to also purchase a tap for the top of the OD and xfer cases. Online I found one from Ebay. A 1/8 BSP size is required.
     Starting at the rear I pulled the axle breather out and put in the new one then slid in the end of the hose. I ran the hose along the brake pipe securing it with the zip ties provided. I made sure to leave slack for the axle movement. Then it was run up the inside of the RH frame to under the seats. Here I put in a provided "tee". Pulling off the top of the xfer and OD I drilled and tapped the xfer plate. On the OD there is already a breather hole with a cotter pin to keep it unpluged. Once the pin was removed I drilled and tapped it. On the inside of the OD plate is a splash plate to prevent oil from exiting the pin hole.
    Soon the xfer plate was reinstalled with a new cork gasket and the breather hooked up. The OD plate was next, #$% no matter how I tried the $%^&*thing wouldn't fit under the handbrake cross shaft...................
    So being the resourcefull fabricator I is. I flattened a piece of copper pipe and clamped it on the underside of the hole in the plate. Now I could weld it up as the weld won't stick to the copper. Now that that was done a new hole was drilled and tapped 3/8" away from the old hole but still inside the splash plate.
     Back at the 109 the plate was installed the breather hooked up by a tee to the xfer case and then to the tee at the frame. All the while using the provided zip ties and securing things from vibration.
    For right now I just have the bight run up the RH side of the bulkhead, around the heater (staying away from heat) and I have a small filter on the end of it.
Pics are of the breather kit and xfer case--OD  plumbing.




Acouple of weeks ago I put insurance on my 109 as I felt it was a) to valuable to not have insured and b) getting close to being drivable. I also mad an appointment at the California Department of Motor Vehicles  www. DMV.Ca.gov
   DMV was yesterday so now I am legal to drive it on the road.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     I am still having brake issues as if there is no pressure when the motor is on. The brakes work when pumped but it's not good enough for me to take out on the road. Hopefully I can find someone to help me re-bleed them and see if there is more air.

    I'll leave you with some pics first is the winch, I wound the rope on today with only 1 major mishap. The snap ring holding the brake drum came off while winding on the rope. I got it all back on but will it stay??

Second it the top of the breather kit, I'm hoping to hook it to a snorkel.


Third, I realized I hadn't shown the finished air distribution box. Not entirely pleased with it. The lower hose interfers with the door for the passenger, but it comes off easily and I don't have anyone riding there anyway. I bought part #5266K84--flexible duct hose, for dust 1-1/2"ID, 1-3/4"OD from McMaster-Carr. Your size may vary due to whether you want the hose inside or outside.

UPDATE 29 Sep 2021;
How I fixed the door issue; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2021/09/land-rover-109-heater-distribution-box.html

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I just found your blog and am looking forward to reading through it. A search about axle breathers brought me here.

    I'm needing to find a set of axle breathers for my '63 SIIa 88 and the ones you have look like the would work great. I just registered on the Series 2 forum (waiting for admin approval) but thought you might have Robin's contact info - if you do that would be helpful. Also, could you give me an idea what to expect in regard to cost (I won't hold him or you to it)?

    Thanks for the help!
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for the helpful and excellent blog. I've just started restoring a 61 series II. Can I ask what hose you ordered from McMaster Carr for your heater / demister vents please? I need to replace the old and decaying ones from my Kodiak heater distribution box.

    ReplyDelete