Sunday, June 16, 2013

109 disc brakes

Well,

     I finally figured out what was wrong with my disc brakes. It seems that the front calipers were on the wrong sides. I noticed while bleeding them that the bleeder was on the bottom. An email to Timm Cooper confirmed my guess. So yesterday (Saturday) I swapped them, bled them and bingo-bango-bongo I had brakes! I check my photos and could tell that the wrong one was put on when ROAM was here to photograph the installation of the conversion kit. I couldn't tell you who did it though. Probably me........
   So of couse I had to drive it around the neighborhood,,,,,But I succumbed to temptation and took it out on the road. Now I live in a rural mountain valley so I had to drive on one of the main roads. I was just going to go 2 miles up and turn around and come back. Drove about a mile when I looked at the dash and saw the charge lamp on.......thinking I had alternator or fan belt issues.............
    Still drove to the turnaround spot as there aint much else around. Then came back home. I have no rearview mirror which was uncomfortable but I made it. The turn signals worked fine as do the brake lights.
     The ride was fairly soft, must be the 40psi in the tyres, power steering worked but seemed to need constant correcting. Even though it is a 109 it has more power than my 88 2.25 diesel.
     Once home I went about checking the charging system. Turns out I had wired the lamp into a constant power circuit. I changed it to an ignition power circuit (as in the diagrahm) and the lamp went out.
     Today I tried to fix the leaking diaphram on the bottom of the injector pump. Well it's not the diaphram but the o-rings for it. Couldn't find the correct o-rings or crush washer. Will try some places in Santa Cruz tomorrow before I decide to travel the 2 hours up to Oakland.

Here's a link to my first test drive when I found out the brakes were not so good;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzW35OFohw

No comments:

Post a Comment