Sunday, October 20, 2019

Roving Nevada Oct 2019, Day 6

Friday Oct 11, 2019

     Again I was in and out of sleep during the long cold night. This would be a great spot to watch the stars!
    Even though the sun had not hit my Secret Basin I got up around 0730, it was 21°F.

   I fixed my breaky and coffee with the Kelly Kettle and no mis-adventures! Then the sun started to warm me up as I began to put things away and pack up.



By 0900 I began to leave this rocky beautiful place.
   The road is what we call in mountain biking an out and back, I've heard it called a stem trail by hikers. I have to say that if I had a bucket list to tell peoples to drive on, this would make my top 5! This whole trip is doable by stock 4x4.
     Gliding down the dirt through giant stands of Rabbit Brush and sage, all golden in the autumn light.


I was watching my old tire tracks and noticed a critter footprints going along and so I stopped to see what it was. It looks like coyote to me.
 When I looked around where I had stopped I saw another stone structure and so I investigated. (Tour of Discovery, right!)

   Eventually my road brought me back to road 488? Where I turned left to head over to Peavine Canyon, it took a lot longer than I thought and there were a few surprises!





Then I was dumped out on a wide road I did not expect, but I turned left towards my target. I was tooling along around 40mph when I came to a road with a barber pole on one corner. I stopped and went down it about a mile to where I could clearly tell it was not the road I wanted to be on. I left.
   Now I was confused and the big road should not have been there and further more on my gps it was calling it "Fremont Route" I wasn't supposed to be on that! It will be interesting to get home and the tracks on the gps tell me where I've been!
Anywho, I followed Mr Big Road and where it went right I veered left and came up Peavine Canyon. It was 1130
     I just kept driving, by now I was under 1/2 tank from Hawthorne, and here I  saw a road marker for 420 and all was good in my world!
   It is a long and winding road up Peavine, very beautiful in it's desert starkness


only to be lush around the next turn.
The above pic is at the junction with Tom's Canyon a very nice place to camp!

I took it slow and at one point I wasn't sure if the road ended in this rocky area, so I got out for a look see leaving the Landy in the road.
Whilst walking the rocks I got the idea to run my metal detector over them, "just in case". I had gone up one side and was most of the way back when lo and behold another car hove into view down the lane!
     I hadn't seen another car since Tuesday morning with the exception 1 on of my foray off "Mr Big".
    They stopped back a space and I indicated I would move my 109 which I did. They pulled next to me and we chatted for a bit. They were Jen and Steve from Soulslicesv.blogspot.com or so they told me, I can't find it online, might be private. They were heading to the end of the trail to do a hike in the Arc Dome Wilderness.
   The metal detector had given a tone just prior to them showing up so after they drove thru I went back for a look see but now the detector gave no tone. So I put everything away and crawled over the rocks down the trail.
    There are several creek crossings and one still had ice on it broken by a previous rig.
     I caught up with Jenn and Steve at the trailhead and there was also a full sized pickup there, they must have...........................wait for it..........................broke the ice.
    We had lunch and talked then I left to find my camp for the night, on the way I talked with a couple of  deerhunters. I drove to Peavine Campground and in # 7 I unloaded my 109.
It is a small valley and the sun went behind the hill at 1515


A woman walked through the camp with what looked like an AK47 slung across her back. So I set my trail cam up early! I wandered around the campgrounds and met some of the fellow campers, 1 family was hunting deer.
That evening I burned the last of my firewood from home, it lasted until 2030ish. then to stay warm it was back into the cocoon! I didn't sleep right away but instead lay for a couple of hours planing my trip back home.

Here are the videos for the day!


To day 7;  https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2019/10/roving-nevada-oct-2019-day-7.html

No comments:

Post a Comment