Sunday, October 20, 2019

Roving Nevada Oct 2019, Day 4

Wednesday Oct 9, 2019

I awoke with the lightening sky, listening to the wind claw it's way thru the trees and sagebrush to pummel my Land Rover.
     It was 0700 and 50°F in my 109. By 0730 I could stall no longer and had to answer natures insistent call.
     So I quickly dressed in slippers and sweats and exited the 109 into the bright and blustery day. The wind was up from yesterday and the temps down. My breakfast and coffee were fixed and consumed, I then climbed back into my cocoon to warm up. It was 0900

A little word on my Kelly Kettle; I use some Cotton Rounds from Safeway that I soaked in melted wax for fire starter, they also work great for fire pits. Once I get the round lit I put on the kettle and add more combustibles until it boils.
    After finishing the last couple of chapters of my only book I set my sights on a bit of a walkabout. My ankle was feeling rested and I knew I could wander the mine site.
    I went up the hill and found some tailing piles and rusty cans, not all that old as one had a pull tab that stays attached.


Then onward where I found another flat space for a couple of Rovers could camp and the remains of an old building, an office by the looks of it. I wandered down to the 427 road and looked for rubbish middens, but nothing jumped out at me.



   I got back to the warmth of the 109 hiding from the wind. It was 1130

   I had a bagel for lunch, got warm and charged camera batteries and began to write. It is now 1510

    Kinda bored I decided I was going to hike up the steep hill behind the mine. I gathered my camera, gloves, and water and set off.
   I was hoping the hike would warm me up. On the way to the road up I discovered a pit with heavy metal bar blocking the entrance on 1 side.


The State comes in abandoned mines and does this to prevent deaths.

 Did I say it was a windy and cold? I started up the road and could see the tracks from a side by side, by the time I climbed 50' I could feel the elevation. I kept going up the loose rocky track I wouldn't take my 109 on, stopping every so often to catch my breath and look around.
   The were no clouds just wind and sun today. When I crested the hill at a false summit the wind was relentless and cold. I took a few Happy Snappy's and headed back down. The hike did NOT warm me up!



 I did find this 1 tiny flower struggling along with me for warmth from the sun.
Getting back to the 109 it was 1545, I got in the back to get out of the wind and warm up, I took a nap!
     When I awoke I contemplated dinner. I really didn't want to stand in the cold and cook, so I made some oatmeal and hot cocoa!
   I have had this annoying noise coming from my newly installed roof vent, So I figured that maybe I could do something about it.
   So far it works.

   I've been in the tub ever since, going over maps for tomorrow. The sun has set and any warmth it left for the day will soon be gone. It is 1830 and 48°F in the 109

To day 5; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2019/10/roving-nevada-oct-2019-day-5.html

No comments:

Post a Comment