Wednesday, August 7, 2019

LED head lights for 109 Land Rover

I don't know if you watched my video in the Roaming Nevada blog, but if you did you saw how pitiful my headlights have been.
I've wanted LED ones for a number of years but the high price kept me from purchasing them. Coming back from that Nevada trip sent me over the edge and I looked around and found some that while pricey were less than half of the cost of the high priced spread.
    I ordered some Sylvania ZEVO LED headlights.
https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/products/other-lighting/zevo-led/index.jsp

I thought that they looked more stock than others like the JW Speakers, but when I got them I found I was mistaken.

One reason I bought these is that they are a sealed beam and therefore should hold up under water crossings.
I ordered mine from walmart;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-L6024-7IN-Round-LED-Sealed-Beam-Contains-1-Bulb/55631365



The old headlights;


The trim ring comes off by removing a screw on the bottom and then prying it off the bottom first. Next are holddown rings that have 3 screws holding the lamp in.

The back of the old headlights;

The front of the new followed by the back;



Plug and play!


The same holddown rings are used. This is when I realized the new ones were going to stick out like a bugeye.


Something old and something new;



Both done, and then I left the trim rings off so I could adjust them.


Here is the low beam;


Hi beam;



Here is the low beam before picture;



Quite a difference, now I feel safer driving at night, I can see!
Low beam at night;


Hi beam;



Just for comparison, my light bar;


The only concern I have is that my driverside headlight has a blue tinge to it on the lowbeam portion when seen from the side. Don't know what it means.



All in all easy swap and much better light to drive by.

Like and subscribe!

Update; Aug 14, 2019.
    I emailed Sylvania about the blue tinge to the light and over the course of a few emails they wanted the lamp back. So they sent a prepaid shipping label and I pulled the lamp and sent it back to them. Once they get it they will send me a replacement. I asked to be included when they find out what the cause is, we'll see. In the mean time I re-installed one of the old lamps. With the engine off I am getting 11.7v to the lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment