Friday, August 9, 2019

200TDI starter replacement in Series Rover 109

So almost as soon as I came home from Nevada things started to go wrong. First was the loose bolt I found when I got home, second was my starter began acting up.

At first it would just go clunk and not start, much like a low battery, but after a few tries it would suddenly start.?? So after a couple of days of this I charged up my battery(it didn't take much) and then the starter would spin but not engage. So I figured the solenoid had gone kaput.

    One morning before it got too hot I set out to check the starter, LR # NAD510210. I disconnected the battery leads and the + one from the battery to the solenoid. These take a 13mm or 1/2" wrench.
    My starter is held in with metric fittings so a 17mm socket and combo are needed to unbolt it. I can reach the upper bolts from the top and the lower nut from underneath. First from underneath I wiped all the oil I could that had escaped from the loose bolt.
    Thinking that I might sneak the starter out thru the bottom past the exhaust down pipe I didn't disconnect that. Upon trying that showed another issue that I didn't know I would have.
    That was that the flange on the starter was too wide to allow it to fit between the engine/ladder frame/oil pan and the chassis frame. I did not have this issue with the 19J 2.5DT engine.
In the pic below you can see the space needed between the engine and frame.


   My solution was to go get some goggles as I would be working over my face and grab a file and file down the sides of the flange. Not as hard as it could have been since the flange is aluminum. I was careful to take equal amounts off each side until the starter passed between the frame and engine.
    Of course that's when I found out the downpipe was in the way....... It takes a 7/16" at the top and 10mm at the flange under the seat base to get it loose and then a LOT of huffing and pulling to get it out of the way. But it comes and then the starter is FREE!
   I had the intention of putting in the starter from the 19J since it worked but it too was having issues. Then I figured maybe I could fix the issue with the 200 starter. So I started trouble shooting. What I found was that the lower stud on the solenoid, LR part # STC1245, had something wrong with the threads and the nut would not tighten down on the terminal to energize the starter. The stud actually wiggled back and forth and there was maybe a 1/16 of an inch for the terminal to move in. I don't know how it worked for so long.

Wow I found the video I took of the connection!



    This was a used starter when I got the engine, a PO had tried to waterproof it with RTV in all the cracks. So he must have buggered the stud.
    Not knowing I could fix it I ordered a new one online, the best deal I found was from Robert Davis, around $200 shipped! But it was going to be a week and a half...... I got surprised though it was here in 3 days, a week ahead of time!!! In his Ebay ad Robert says they are remaned starters but the box says new from Israel. Robert also sells a higher output starter, mine is the 2.2KW model.



     First thing I did was file down the flange. I knew from the one I took out that it had to be about a 32nd less than 5" across.



I kept working at it until it fit, You can see here where I filed circled in red;


Then it was a matter of setting it up from the bottom and using the lower stud and nut to hold it on. And then I could put the 2 upper bolts in. 



1 is into a threaded hole and the other is a bolt/nut combo. It takes some socket extensions and a combo wrench to get the job done and tight! With those on and tight I hooked up the power and alternator and ignition wires. The battery would be later.



Then the bottom can be tightened and the downpipe shoved back up and clamped. I find that a bottle jack under the downpipe helps to push it that last little bit instead of beating my hands to death slamming it up. The flange donut has to get put back in and the fitting connection tightened and then the clamp on the turbo. Hook up the battery and Bob is an ex-neighbor. No really, he moved to Idaho.

It starts SOooo fast now!

Today I took apart the old starter and tried to find a new solenoid for it. They are available online from LR part suppliers from around $35 in the UK to twice that in the States. I'll get one next time I make a UK order.
    For now though I did a deep cleaning/lubing of the 200 starter and ran a die down the threads and had to file the last few for a nut to go all the way down. Then put it back together and in my spares pile.
    I also took apart the 19J starter which has a LR part # of PRC5109 and fits the 2.5NA and DT. I cleaned it and lubed it and put it in my for sale pile.

Lots of work just glad I wasn't doing it in the hot desert.............

No comments:

Post a Comment