Saturday, July 27, 2019

Series Rover bike rack modification

On my trip roaming Nevada one of the things I learned was that I needed/wanted to get my rear door all the way open even if the bike rack was in the hitch. This was for a few reasons; to be able to get the boxes in and out easier(easier on my back), to open the door and utilize the table on it, to be able to use the door prop in the wind, for climbing in and out myself are a few of them.
    Originally I had figured on just taking the bike off the rack and then unbolting the rack from the receiver and getting it out of the way. I had already cut down the rack so the door would open wider while on the 109 and the rack folded down.
    It was just more than I wanted to do every time I stopped, so maybe you noticed in the video the door wasn't open all the way. It was a nuisance on the trip and kept shutting on me.
    So I noticed on the trip that I could probably just whack it off below the door line and weld it back as a dogleg.
Some pics of the problem;


The last one shows the limit of the door opening.

Well I did some measuring and some cutting,




And double checked that I had cut enough off.



That's when the fun kicked in. Using some old steel I clamped some to the upright and checked to see how far I needed to drop the top piece to clear the door opening. Turned out it wasn't just a a simple dogleg.

I needed to add 1.75"+ to  allow the door to swing open. Of course I didn't have any 1.75" anything. I did have some 2" square tubing from an old project I could cut and weld this to the 1.5" tubing of the rack!

And then checking my work;


Now that I knew it was going to be deep enough, I welded on the rest of the upright. Test fitted it and then gave it some paint.
The finished product!




Here is the clearance for the door bottom;

Now I can get the door fully open with the bike rack on AND a bike on the rack! This is going to help with getting groceries and other shopping as well as camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment