Saturday, July 6, 2019

4 July 2019

I set my alarm to get up early(for me) at 0630. I dressed for a short bike ride to town to the annual Fireman's pancake breakfast fund raiser. It started at 0700 and I was going out the door when I heard the fire siren announcing they had commenced.
  With it being a cool 50°F and foggy overcast I wore my puffy jacket over my longsleeve tee and shorts. Once there I locked up my bike and exchanged my helmet for a warm sock cap!
    No line and that is why I go so early, later and you can stand in line for an hour waiting to get in.
    I picked up some hot blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs w/sausage, grabbed a cup of java and found a seat at a mostly MT looong table.
    Keeping an eye on the growing crowd, I ate steadily so the food would not get cold. Yummy for the tummy!
    Once finished I policed my plate and got my bike and rode the 1/2 mile home, which is uphill going in this direction.....

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

    The parade started at 10, by now it was pushing 65°F and I got back on the bike and rode into town, this time passing parked cars on the side of the road and peoples walking in to either eat or see the parade.
    Locked up the ol' 2-wheeler and walked to a place that I over the years have found to almost always have a spot open so I can lean against the wall and watch the world go by.
   Yuup, it was again open!
    I planted my back against the wall and waited for the parade to start.

One reason why I like to go is I like to people watch and this is one of the best places and times around here for it. Thousands come into town and I saw neighbors and friends and lots I don't know sporting Red, White and Blue.

The Boulder Creek parade starts with the local Fire Dept weaving down the Main Street (Hwy-9) followed by a pletheora of clubs and cars and bubbles and candy for the kids. It lasted about an hour and I had forgotten my camera.

New this year as the parade got over the newly opened Sheriff's satellite office was giving out free hot dogs. Unlike Joey Chestnut I only ate 1.

As the crowd dwindled I grabbed my bike and rode back home.

I was home by noon. I fixed some coffee and settled in for a calm day.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

By 1430 I was going stir crazy. I'd done my daily chores and had cabin fever. My neighbor wasn't home he was trapped at a party(his words!). I need to go for a drive.

I got in the 109 and headed up the old standby Hwy 236 into Big Basin State Park, California's first state park. I turned onto my favorite Lodge Rd and headed into as remote as you can get in this park on a road. Being careful of oncoming traffic I puttered along stopping here and there to see things and take some photos.

Now I lay those photos out for you to view;



The road less traveled


Farther along;



Sempervirens Falls;


And some video;


No comments:

Post a Comment